- About Us
- Founders' Vision
- Guiding statements
- Our school
- Facilities and services
- School song
- Around KIST
- English language support
- Counseling services
- Parental involvement
- School support program
- Founders' Awards
- Future Horizons Scholarship Program
- Gradual entry program
- Donating to KIST
The information on this page has been extracted from the KIST Admissions Handbook. Please read the complete handbook for more detailed information on the application procedure.
Standard admissions process
Applications proceed through various stages as shown below as part of the admissions process.
STAGE 1: Read Admissions Handbook
This document outlines admissions policies and procedures. All applicants must read it thoroughly before applying. Submission of an application indicates that you have read and understood the handbook in full and agree to comply with the policies and procedures outlined.
STAGE 2: Confirm availability
For applications for admission outside the main intake periods, please contact the KIST Admissions Office to confirm availability before submitting an application. We cannot guarantee that your application will be accepted if you have not checked the status of the class you are applying for in advance.
STAGE 3: Submit application form and fee
Fill out and submit the Application for Admission and supporting documents and pay the non-refundable Application Fee.
STAGE 4: Application form screening
Received application forms are screened and assessed for eligibility. This takes approximately one week (except for the April/August main intake periods). Only approved applicants may proceed to Stage 5.
STAGE 5: Notification of screening result
Approved applicants will receive an invitation by e-mail that will indicate the date and time you are required to attend the enrollment interview and assessment test held at school. Notification will be no earlier than one week in advance. Applicants unsuccessful at the screening stage will be notified by e-mail. The Application Fee will not be returned in this instance.
STAGE 6: Enrollment interview and assessment test
Interviews are held for parents/guardians and tests are conducted for students. In most instances, both the interview and test will be held on the same day.
STAGE 7: Notification of final result
After the interview and test, the school Admissions Panel convenes to make decisions. We aim to send out results by e-mail in approximately one week after the interview and test (except for the April/August main intake periods).
STAGE 8: Payment of school fees
Successful applicants are required to pay the non-refundable Enrollment Fee and other school fees to secure their place in the class.
Timing of applications
Applying for admission for the main intake periods
The main intake of students is from the start of the new school year in August. Enrollment is also possible from January or from April provided that places are available. The following table indicates the tentative schedule for admission for the main intake periods. Please note that these dates may change without notice. Applications for admission beyond January of the forthcoming school year are not accepted; however, it is possible to apply for admission from the start of the school year, but to defer enrollment until the following January (see Admissions Handbook).
Start from: January 2017 (2016 – 2017)
|Applications accepted:||October 17, 2016 (Monday) – November 18, 2016 (Friday)|
|Enrollment interview and assessment test:||December 1, 2016 (Thursday)|
|Results sent out by e-mail:||December 8, 2016 (Thursday)|
|School fees due:||December 15, 2016 (Thursday)|
Start from: April 2017 (2016 – 2017) or August 2017 (2017 – 2018)
|Applications accepted:||October 17, 2016 (Monday) – January 9, 2017 (Monday)|
|Enrollment interview and assessment test:||
Grades 1 to 12: January 23 (Monday), 24 (Tuesday), 26 (Thursday), 2017
K1, K2, K3: January 27, 2017 (Friday)
|Results sent out by e-mail:||February 14, 2017 (Monday)|
|School fees due:||
February 21, 2017 (Monday) [All applicants except August entry K3]
March 3, 2017 (Friday) [August entry K3 applicants only]
|Late applications accepted from:||February 15, 2017 (Wednesday) [If places are available.]|
Applying for admission outside the main intake periods
Applications for enrollment at times outside the main intake periods are accepted all year round provided places are available in the grade for which you wish to apply. The admissions process for these applications takes approximately one month from the time of submission until final enrollment. Families are advised to take this into consideration when submitting an application. Applicants who pass the screening stage will be invited to attend an enrollment interview and assessment test. These may be held in the morning on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of most months (excluding holidays and special school events) depending on the school schedule. Applicants will be added to the next available schedule. This will depend on the timing of your application and the number of other families on the schedule. An invitation will be sent by e-mail no more than one week in advance.
It is the responsibility of applicants to ensure that all required documents are received by the school. Applications will not be screened until all relevant documents and the Application Fee have been received.
Each application must include:
- Application for Admission (Sections 1 – 7)
- Proof of date of birth (e.g. copy of birth certificate or passport)
- Passport-sized photograph (attach to the application form)
- Family photograph
- Application Fee (non-refundable) 20,000 yen (Please include proof of payment if paying by bank transfer.)
- School reports
- Applicants for Grades 3 and above: School reports for the past three years are required. These must be official copies stamped with the school seal. They must be sent to the KIST Admissions Office directly from the applicant's school/s or submitted together with an application in a sealed and stamped envelope from the school. Full reports containing teachers' comments are preferred.
- Applicants for Grades 2 and below: Photocopies of all reports available. These do not have to be official copies.
- Statement of School Life (Applicants for Grades 2 and above only) – This should be handed to the applicant's current school in advance for completion. It is a confidential statement that should be sent by the school directly to the KIST Admissions Office.
- Personal Statement (Applicants for Grades 8 and above only) – This should be handwritten by applicants themselves in English and submitted together with the application form.
- Copies of results of standardized examinations (if available)
- Proof of visa status (non-Japanese applicants living in Japan without their parents only)
General conditions of application
- Items submitted as part of an application will not be returned regardless of the result of your application or any cancellation. Please do not submit any original documents, only copies.
- Please do not staple the Application for Admission (Sections 1 – 7).
- All application forms must be written clearly and legibly by pen in English only. KIST will not be held responsible for any miscommunications due to errors or unclear contact details.
- All school reports must be in English. Translations must be provided where necessary. These may be arranged by families, but official reports must be sent by the school. Applications will not begin the screening process until all reports have been received.
- Application forms and all supporting documentation (other than photographs) should be submitted on standard A4 paper (width 210 mm x height 297 mm). American letter-size paper must be trimmed before submission.
- It is a requirement for all families applying to KIST to have access to the Internet and computer-based e-mail services in order to receive communication during the admissions process. A valid computer-based e-mail address must be included in your application. Mobile phone e-mail addresses are not accepted.
- Please ensure that you provide all information available about your child's previous education as well as full details of any special learning issues. Recognized issues not disclosed at the time of application may result in your child’s enrollment being reviewed and possibly cancelled.
Submitting an application
Applications may be submitted by post/courier, or delivered in person (appointment required) to the address below. Submission of application by fax or e-mail is not accepted.
K. International School Tokyo
The Application Fee may be paid in cash at the school office or by bank transfer. All transfer fees incurred are the responsibility of the sender and must be covered at the time of payment. If paying by bank transfer from overseas, please ensure the currency is in Japanese yen and amounts to exactly 20,000 yen after handling fees are deducted. All transfer fees incurred for both the sending as well as the receiving bank are the responsibility of the applicant and must be covered at the time of payment. Please consult with your bank at the time of transfer to determine the amount you need to pay to cover all fees.
Bank account details:
Bank: Mizuho Bank (Bank number: 0001)
Branch: Honjo (Branch number: 050)
Address: 4-31-11 Ryogoku, Sumida-ku, Tokyo 130-0026
Tel: 03-3631-2121 / +81-3-3631-2121
Account type: Regular savings (Futsuu)
Account number: 1937746
Swift code: MHCBJPJT
Account name: K. International School Tokyo
All bank transfers must include the applicant's name.
For admissions inquiries, please contact us between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.